This canalside village has become a popular destination for city folk who seek out its quintessentially 'Thai' setting. This urban influx has sparked a few signs of gentrification, but the canals, old wooden buildings, atmospheric cafes and quaint waterborne traffic still retain heaps of charm.
|Destination||Nights||Hotel and Room||Meals|
Baan Amphawa Resort & Spa
River Kwai Hotel
- Transfers and tours by air-conditioned van/coach with English Speaking Guide on the seat-in-coach tour and private tour
- Baggage handling - Entrance fees - Boat fees
- Accommodation in air-conditioned room with shower/bath
Day Wise Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival At Bangkok And Transfer To Ampawa
- 07:00AM Depart Bangkok in the morning to Mahachai, home to one of the biggest seafood piers in the Gulf of Thailand. Stroll along the river towards the pier at the junction where Klong Mahachai canal and the Ta Chine River converge to watch fishermen offload their catch: big and small shrimps, myriad fish, cuttlefish, shellfish and other fishes of the sea. Deckhands slide baskets of seafood down from the boat into the hands of traders who immediately auction off the catches and distribute them either to one of the many frozen seafood plants in the area or to vendors at the fresh market just behind the pier.
- 09:00AM depart to Mae Klong Railway Market. Walk around the market, then ready yourself for the hectic activities of the vendors along the railway tracks, when they raise the awnings of their stalls to clear the passage for the train on its return journey to Mahachai at around 09:45hrs. The train passes right through the bustling fresh market, which offers unique photo opportunities.
- Note : Trains are now scheduled to arrive at Mae Klong station at 09:30-09:50hrs / 13:30-13:45hrs / 18:00-18:30hrs (Train schedule is subject to change. According to the railway station in Mae Klong, trains often run 20-30 minutes late, hence, the from-to arrival times).
- Continue by van/coach to Ampawa and visit the Benjarong House and Museum, where you have the opportunity to watch skilled artisans painting delicate china ware with intricate designs. From here it is a short drive to Baan Ampawa Resort. Check-in and freshen up. Later in the afternoon, depart on a boat trip through the scenic canals, passing coconut and fruit orchards and rural dwellings and continue along Mae Klong River to Wat Bang Kung, built during the Ayudhaya period (more than 200 years ago). This interesting temple is completely embraced by the roots of a huge Banyan Tree. Return to the resort for a deserved rest.
- Optional evening tour (not included in package price): Later in the evening, you may join a nocturnal boat trip along the canals to watch the fireflies, for which this province is so famous for.
Day 2: Ampawa To Kanchanaburi
- After breakfast at the resort, depart to the nearby floating market of Damnoen Saduak, before continue to Kanchanaburi. Brief visit to the War Cemetery and a photo stop at the famous Bridge over the River Kwai. Then board the local train for the exciting ride on the Death Railway. After lunch at local restaurant, visit Hellfire Pass Memorial Museum. During the Second World War, thousands of forced local laborers and Allied Prisoners of War suffered and died constructing and maintaining the Burma-Thailand railway. The museum explains to visitors the story of why and how the railway was built and attempts to convey the hardships and suffering endured by so many who were forced to work in extremely harsh conditions. A walking trail follows the alignment of the original Burma-Thailand railway from Hellfire Pass to beyond Compressor Cutting. Transfer to your hotel located on the Kwai River by long-tail boat. The remainder of the afternoon is at leisure.
- Optional activities (not included in our tour price): Mountain biking, canoeing on the Kwai River, traditional Thai massage. Overnight at
- Bangkok – Mahachai – Ampawa
- River Kwai Resotel.
Things to see and do
Bridge River Kwai is a tourist destination now. The track is developed into a walkway with side platforms. This allows crossing the railway bridge on foot. These platforms are...
Travel from Amphawa to Kanchanaburi
Day 3: Kanchanaburi To Ayutthaya
- After breakfast at the resort, short long-tail boat transfer on the Kwai River to the waiting vehicle, followed by a 255 km drive to the former capital city of Siam, Ayutthaya. Located approximately 80 kilometers north of Bangkok, the ancient city of Ayutthaya is known as the "Venice of the East", and it lies along the Chao Phraya River, the tributaries of which surround Ayutthaya province. The glory of the Ayutthaya empire (1350-1767A.D.) is evident in the remains of temples such as Wat Phra Sri Sanphet and Wat Chai Wattanaram, which you will visit in the afternoon. A further visit includes Wat Yai Chai Mongkol. This well-tended temple was founded by King U-Thong in 1357 as a center for monks returning from study in Sri Lanka. The white reclining Buddha near the entrance was built by King Naresuan. The massive pagoda was also built by King Naresuan to celebrate his defeat of the Burmese at Suphanburi in 1593 by killing their crown prince in a single-handed combat on elephants. Overnight at Krungsri River Hotel.
- Optional evening tour (not included in package price): Dinner cruise on a converted Rice Barge (minimum 2 persons)
Travel from Kanchanaburi to Ayutthaya
Day 4: Departure
Baan Amphawa Resort & Spa (3 star)
22 Bangkapom, Kaewfah Rd., Amphawa 75110 , Thailand, Amphawa
River Kwai Hotel
284/15-16 Sangchuto Rd., Kanchanaburi
Krungsri River (4 star)
27/2 Moo 11 Rojchana Rd., Kamang, Ayutthaya, Ayutthaya
- The package once booked is refundable and cancellable.
- Flight cancellation will be as per airline cancellation policy.
- Date of booking to 30 days before travel the cancellation charges will be 10% of the tour cost
- 30 to 15 days before travel - cancellation charges will be 50% of the tour cost
- 15 to 7 days before travel - cancellation charges will be 75% of the tour cost
- 0 to 7 days before travel - cancellation charges will be 100% of the tour cost. No refund shall be given
- Please note cancellation policy is subject to change. It depends on the hotel policy. In peak season, some hotels may charge 100% cancellation.
- Check-in at hotel starts from 14:00 hrs.
- Check-out time is until 12:00 hrs.
- Early check-in or late check-out is subject to availability and may be chargeable by the hotel.
- Once your payment has been processed, we will send you an email confirmation.
- You will receive all travel vouchers required for your flights and accommodation shortly afterwards.